By Ben Gurglebop
On august second the beautiful ladies of the Upper East Side appeared at the Testament Room raising funds for our young men and ladies overseas. Heading the fab, fab gala was none other than Topsy Taylor sporting a pink gown in honor breast cancer.
It’s not all fun and games being a socialite. Oh sure, there’s the occasional gold-plated squash court or urn full of caviar, but New York’s cultural history is marked by the contributions of many society dames (and gentlemen) who knew how to get things done. Here we celebrate the ladies who lunch – and then rebuild the kitchen. Naturally we’ll also throw in some hot messes for good measure. First up: Carol McFadden and Lisa Melas!
The difference a daddy makes. Nan Kempner’s father reportedly told her, “You’ll never make it on your face, so you’d better be interesting.” She took it to heart, cultivating a biting wit, a brash persona, and a laser eye for couture.
That last quality is perhaps what Nan is best remembered for: She amassed huge numbers of designer garments, and in forty years missed only one of the shows given by her friend Yves St. Laurent. The socialite with “a body like a hanger” (so said Valentino) easily fit into designer sample sizes, and snapped up every gown she could. Nan didn’t borrow; Nan owned. At the time of her death, she possessed the largest private collection of couture in the world, key pieces from which now reside at the Met.
Sonja Morgan is blaming her 80-year-old ex-husband, John Adams Morgan, for her well-documented financial troubles. The ongoing divorce proceedings are “bitter,” explains the Real Housewives of New York star, because her ex, a descendant of J.P. Morgan and President John Adams, is refusing to pay her a $3 million lump-sum divorce judgment, claiming the judge made him pay more than he agreed to in a prenup. Adams Morgan lives “on a private $19 million island off the coast of Stamford, Connecticut,” Sonja explains, while she’s fretting about whether she’ll have to sell her Upper East Side townhouse. In any case, Morgan knows what’s keeping people up at night:
“I’m sure the world thinks, ‘Sonja doesn’t have to worry, she’s got that husband there for her.’ But I’m on my own,” said Morgan, 47.
Indeed. The world thinks nothing else, day in and day out, watching Real Housewives ad nauseum. It’s weird: We’re kidding, but sometimes it seems like that may really be true.
- Sonja Morgan’s NYC Panty-Dropping Palace Is Back On the Market for $8.25 Million (celebuzz.com)
- Adams Morgan bar The Reef closed for good (bizjournals.com)
- Learn How to Become a Socialite (heartsweet77.wordpress.com)
- Are you lacking a socialite role model (highteagirl.wordpress.com)
- Adam Morgan (Liverpool U-21) scores 45-yard wonder goal vs Man City U-21 (insideworldsoccer.com)
- Socialite Dinner Parties – What are the Ingredients? (socialitecravings.wordpress.com)
- What it Means to be The Lesbian Socialite (thelesbiansocialite.com)
- Adams Morgan assault sends one to hospital (wjla.com)
- Dirty Dog Diaries: “Real Housewives” Hubby Mario Singer Caught Creepin’ After Sending Naughty Pics And Paying For Side Chick’s Abortion! (bossip.com)
- Ramona Singer Dispels Mario Got A Socialite Pregnant (celebnmusic247.com)